Justice Court

110 South Main Street

Springville, UT 84663


(801) 489-2707

(801) 491-7815


Frequently Asked Questions

Click question to view answer

  • Traffic Citation

  • How long do I have to take care of my ticket?

  • On your citation, you were notified by the officer that you have not less than five, no more than fourteen days to appear on your ticket.  You must contact the court to either pay your ticket or schedule an appointment to see the judge within that timeframe.  Some charges require a mandatory appearance before the judge.  In that case, you will be notified by mail of your arraignment date.  Please make sure to notify the court if your address is different than the address on your citation.  On charges that do not require an appearance, you still have a right to see the judge if you want or you can resolve the citation by paying over the phone, by mail, or at the clerk’s window.

  • Why do I have to wait 5 days to contact the court?

  • You are welcome to contact the court anytime.  However, it generally takes at least 5 business days for the court to receive information on your citation.  We can answer general questions without the citation but not anything specific to you before then.

  • What options do I have on my citation?

  • On charges that do not require an appearance, you may:

    1. Schedule an appointment to see the judge either to contest the charge or make other requests. If you plan to attend court, you may represent yourself or hire an attorney.
    2. If you qualify for traffic school, you may come to the clerk’s window to fill out a plea in abeyance agreement for moving violations.
    3. Pay the citation over the phone, by mail, or at the clerk’s window within 14 days to close the case.

    On charges that do require an appearance:

    1. Your arraignment notice will be sent by mail indicating the date and time to come to court.  A warrant may be issued if you do not appear.
    2. If you need it rescheduled, you must provide a request in writing at least 5 business days in advance of the hearing and the judge will review your request.  If you have an attorney, he/she can request a continuance in your behalf.
  • Do I qualify for traffic school?

  • 1. You must have a valid Utah driver’s license.

    2. Eligibility is based on your driving history. The clerks will not be able to approve you for traffic school if you have any of the following conditions:

    • Speeding 20 miles per hour or more over the speed limit.
    • More than two plea in abeyances and/or convictions on your driving record in the past two (2) years.
    • Speeding in a construction zone OR school zone.
    • Any charge that requires a mandatory court appearance.
    • Any alcohol related offense.
    • An active plea in abeyance agreement with the Springville Justice Court.

    3. You were at least 18 years of age at the time the citation was issued. If you are under 18 years of age, a parent may sign with you for approval.

    4. You agree to pay the citation plus the $25.00 Plea in Abeyance fee.

  • Insurance

  • How do I prove that I had insurance on the day of my citation?

  • A violation of No Proof of Insurance can be dismissed when verification in the form of a letter is presented to the Court with the following required information:

    1.  Letter on Insurance Agency letterhead

    2.  Name of insured.  If the name of the insured is different than the person who received the citation, the letter must include an explanation indicating that the driver had permission of the owner and is covered under that policy.

    3.  Vehicle description (must match the vehicle on the citation)

    4.  Coverage was in effect on the date and time the citation was issued.

    5.  Agent’s signature

    6.  Citation or Case Number

    Present this letter in person or mail it to:

    Springville Justice Court

    110 South Main Street

    Springville, UT 84663

    You may also have your agent fax the letter to 801-491-7815.

    If the letter is faxed, you must call the court at 801-489-2707 to verify that the letter was received.

    If the requirements cannot be met, contact the Springville Justice Court at 801-489-2707 to set an appointment with the Judge.

    PLEASE NOTE: An insurance card or a declaration of benefits is NOT sufficient proof.

  • What if I did not have insurance on the day of my citation?

  • Then you will need to appear before the judge to be arraigned.  You may represent yourself, hire an attorney, or apply for a public defender.

  • Small Claims

  • Where do I file my small claims case?

  • A small claims case must be filed in the justice court where the defendant resides or where the claim arose (where the events happened). Find more information at: http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/smallclaims/#where

  • How do I file a small claims case?

    • First, go to the small claim section on our website. Read through and follow all instructions on the packet.
    • Second, bring the paperwork to the court clerk window Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm with the appropriate filing fee listed within the packet.  The clerk will schedule an appointment for you approximately 6-8 weeks out and provide copies for you to have served on the defendant.
    • Third, have the paperwork served on the defendant (using an appropriate agency) thirty days prior to your court date.  Make sure the court has proof of service at least ten business days prior to the court date.
  • General

  • What do I need to do to resolve a warrant?

  • Call the court at (801) 489-2707 for specific information about what to do on your charges/warrant.  In general, if you have a warrant then a warrant fee has been added to the original charges and your driver’s license may be suspended.

    On charges that do not require an appearance before the judge, you can pay off the warrant and pick up a clearance for your driver’s license.  You would then need to take the clearance to the Driver’s License Division to get your license reinstated.

    On charges that do require an appearance before the judge, the clerks will require you to post bail in full (cash or card) and sign a promise to appear prior to recalling the warrant.

  • What are the court’s hours?

  • Court is in session Tuesday and Wednesday by appointment.

    A Spanish Interpreter is available the first and third Tuesday of each month at 3:00 pm.

    The court clerk’s window is open Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Payments are accepted until 4:30 pm.

  • What is your contact information?

  • 110 South Main Street

    Springville, UT 84663

    (801) 489-2707 (office)

    (801) 491-7815 (fax)


  • What is a public defender and how do I get one appointed on my case?

  • Everyone is entitled to representation by counsel. You can decide if you want representation at any stage of the court process. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may fill out an affidavit with the Court and be considered for a public defender who is paid by the city to represent those who cannot afford it. The Court is under strict guidelines regarding the qualifications for appointment of a public defender. After filling out the affidavit the Judge will review it with you and determine if you qualify.

  • How do I request a change in my sentence or fine?

  • Please fill out the Request to Judge form at the link below.

    Request to Judge form