Police Department

110 South Main Street

Springville, UT 84663


(801) 489-9421

Emergency - Dial 911



Frequently Asked Questions

Click question to view answer

  • 1 How do I...?

  • How do I get a copy of a police report?

  •      Getting a copy of a report is fairly simple, however there may be a nominal charge. Generally, police reports are considered public record and anyone can request a copy of a police report. However, some reports may be classified private, controlled, or protected and may be considered unobtainable for disclosure.  In addition, copies of police reports are not able to be released until after they have been adjudicated, or processed through court.  If you are the defendant on a case that is not adjudicated, you or your attorney can obtain a copy through “Discovery” from the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

         To get a copy of a crime report for your insurance company you will need to fill out what is called a “GRAMA form.” These forms are available HERE. Please fill out the form and bring it into the Police Department anytime. Please also provide the following information: 

    • Description of the record(s). This must be done with reasonable specificity, listing any and all documents/records needed
    • Date(s) of incident(s).
    • Case number(s) if known.

         Utah law provides us up to 10 business days to process your request. You will be notified by phone when your request is available.  You must present picture  identification at the time you pick up your request and pay any fees due in order for the records to be released.

         The fees associated with the release of records are $5.00 for police reports up to 10 pages. $20 for a photo CD. $32 per research hour if records are extensive.

  • I was involved in a traffic accident. How do I get a copy of the report?

  •      In order to obtain a copy of a traffic accident, you must have either been
    involved in the accident, be an owner of a vehicle involved, or be an agent,
    parent, or legal guardian representing one of those involved.  You will
    need to provide the following:

    • Identification
    • Date of Accident
    • Other Driver (if known)
    • Traffic Accident # (if Insurance Company Request)


    $5.00 fee for traffic accident report

    $20.00 fee for photo cd

  • I have applied for a new job, and need to be fingerprinted. Does Springville Police Department offer that service?


    Yes, we do offer fingerprinting.


    Fingerprints are taken Monday through Friday, from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm, depending on the availability of our staff.


    You will need to bring the following items with you:

    • Photo identification (a Driving Privilege card is not acceptable.)
    • Proof of Springville City residency (a utility bill, bank statement or other proof that you live within the City limits of Springville).
    • There is a nominal fee of $10.00 for Springville residents. If you live outside of Springville city limits, there is a $15.00 fee (non-resident fee). The non-resident fee goes up to $20.00 on July 1, 2016.
  • I have some old, out-dated prescription medications at my house. Where can I safely dispose of them?

  • Old prescriptions can be dangerous, and they should not be disposed of improperly. Because of that, Springville Police Department has made a disposal site available, free-of-charge. You will find the drop off box just inside the east lobby doors of the Police Department (the north-east doors at the City Hall building).

    There is no fee, and the box is available 24 hours each day and seven days a week. It is suitable for unwanted or expired prescription drugs (not ‘street’ drugs).’

    You may leave these drugs in their original container, or seal them in a bag or other non-breakable container for disposal. No information is gathered from the containers.

  • How do I become a police officer?

  • If you are interested in law enforcement as a career you can go to Utah State Peace Officer Standards and Training, or POST, online at this addess:


    That website will have tons of information about what you should expect.

    Most of the employees we have here at Springville Police Department have eiither moved here from someplace else where they had been employed as a law enforcement officer, or they have completed the Utah State POST training as a Category 1 police officer by ‘self-sponsoring.’ (Self-sponsoring is completed by enrolling in one of the Police Academies across the State, at your own expense.)

    Once you have completed POST, you will need to apply at a variety of places. Each city, county or state agency has a testing process. Springville Police Department uses a physical fitness test, a written test, and oral interview board. The interview board consists of police employees and others. Those who pass all tests are then rated or scored.

    During the next phase of hiring, the top candidates have an extrememly thorough background investigation done on them. These backgrounds investigate everything from how well you meet your financial obligations to how much your neighbors think of you.

    Once those processes are completed, the top candidates are interviewed by the Chief of Police. A selection is then made, a “conditional offer of employment is given. Potential employees must have a physical and drug screen, a polygraph test, and a series of interviews or surveys with a psychologist.

    Get through all of that, and perhaps you can get hired and join us!

  • I have heard that I can come ride with a police officer to learn what you do. Is that true?

  • The Springville Police Department no longer offers a ride-along program.

  • I am worried that there might be an emergency, and I wouldn’t have the information I need to know. How do I sign up for the new emergency notification system?

  • Springville City has an citizen notification system called “Everbridge.” The system will send out emergency messages to people in Springville and Mapleton. It can also be used to send out items of interest (non-emergency events such as Art City Days, special events at the City parks, Art Museum etc.). In the event of an emergency, Public Safety officials can send out an alert message by text message, voice message and email. These messages can include emergency instructions to evacuate an area of town, or “all clear” messages allowing people to go back to their homes and businesses. When fully operational, messages can be sent to selected homes or areas within the City.

    This notification system is our “first line” effort to advise the public of emergencies in their neighborhood. To sign up, click here: CITIZEN ALERT and follow the prompts. (Once there you can specify what types of alerts you are interested in.)

    Our secondary system will be to send out “tweets” on “Twitter.” You can subscribe to Twitter, then “follow” SpringvilleDPS to get announcements via Twitter. By their nature, “tweets” are generally short messages, so they may not include as much detail as the “Citizen Alert System” noted above.

    Finally, Springville will update (as manpower allows) their website. This will, in a large scale emergency, take place well after these other alerts are issued… Updates may not be completed until the emergency has been resolved. Still, information may be more complete here. We may even include photographs and/or video clips or links to news media websites.

    If, for some reason, you decide you do not want these emergency notifications… or if you are receiving them in error (you no longer live in Springville/Mapleton… you are getting multiple calls… those kinds of problems) please let us know by submitting a question or telling us about a problem in the form below. We’ll need your name(s) and phone number(s) to correct problems, so be sure to leave that information as well.

    Thank you!

  • 2 Drugs in Springville

  • I have heard stories that the drug problem in Springville is really bad. Is that true?

  •      Take heart! While there is a drug problem in Springville, it is no where near as bad as some might have you believe. In fact, Nebo School District and the Utah County Health Department have done a series of scientific studies that show the use of illegal drugs in Springville is actually lower than in many other cities in our area! And these findings have been consistent for the past several surveys!

         As a police department, we work hard to investigate and arrest those who violate drug laws… especially those who sell illegal drugs.

         Still, we realize that one child using drugs is one too many. We hope to have an impact on drugs here through tough enforcement and a zero tolerance policy and attitude.

  • I think my neighbor might be selling drugs. What should I do?

  •      Call us! Or send us the information using the “Tip-a-Cop” form on this website! We don’t get nearly enough of these types of calls from our community… but every one we do get we take seriously.

         If you ‘let it go’ it will probably get worse. Sometimes, even after you call it seems like the problem goes on forever. We have several steps we must follow before we can take action. But rest assured, we will follow through!

         Springville Police Department has two officers who are dedicated to fighting drugs in our community. One is a member of the Utah County Major Crimes Task Force, and the second is our Community Drug Officer.

  • 3 Traffic

  • I was involved in a traffic accident. How do I get a copy of the report?

  •      In order to obtain a copy of a traffic accident, you must have either been
    involved in the accident, be an owner of a vehicle involved, or be an agent,
    parent, or legal guardian representing one of those involved.  You will
    need to provide the following:

    • Identification
    • Date of Accident
    • Other Driver (if known)
    • Traffic Accident # (if Insurance Company Request)


    $5.00 fee for traffic accident report

    $20.00 fee for photo cd

  • We have a problem in our neighborhood with drivers speeding. What can we do?

  • Our traffic officers investigate complaints of drivers who speed, run stop signs, won’t stop for pedestrians and other traffic violations. If you have any of these or other traffic related problems in your neighborhood, please let us know HERE.

         Our officers will use a variety of methods to help reduce these
    types of problems, depending on the complaint:

    • Increased patrol and enforcement
    • Use of a “Speed Trailer” to warn motorists of their speed
    • Conducting “Traffic Surveys” to identify times and days of
      problems and traffic volume


  • I got a ticket. Why do officers write tickets? Do you have a quota?

  •      Let’s answer the “quota” question first. The answer is “no” we don’t have a quota. We do encourage our officers to enforce traffic laws, either by warning drivers or by issuing citations.

         The “why” question is a bit more complex, but what it boils down to is this: Citations are issued to encourage motorists to drive more safely. 

         Officers are given information about complaints from citizens, traffic accident locations and causes to help them in this effort. It is our hope that drivers who are issued citations will drive with greater caution in the future.

  • How many accidents occur in Springville each year? What are the main causes?

  • Springville officers respond on hundreds of traffic accidents each year. (In 2011 there were more than 600 accidents.) Some of these accidents are minor ‘fender benders’ but others are far more serious… since the year 2000, there have been twelve accidents with fatalities in Springville (some of these with multiple deaths) and nearly 1,300 accidents with injuries!

         In addition, property damages total around one million dollars each year!

         Our investigations have shown that most accidents are caused by two violations: failure to yield and following too close… while speeding contributes to the likelihood of injuries and/or death in accidents. 

        And while accidents occur all over town, motorists entering and leaving parking lots or backing out of parking stalls seem to be a major problem.

  • OH NO! I got a ticket! What do I do now?

  •      There are a couple of things you’ll want to do right away. First, look at the ticket and see when it says you need to appear in court… and which court (you don’t want to go to the wrong place).

         Next, be sure you go to that court on or before the date written on the citation! Being late on a citation is not a good idea, and a simple speeding ticket can turn into an arrest warrant if ignored.

         Your next step is to make a decision. Are you guilty of the offense, or not guilty? Just because you have signed a citation does not imply that you are guilty. When you go to court, let the court clerk know if you want to “fight” the ticket or just enter a guilty plea. If you do, they’ll give you the details on what to do next.  

  • What is the weirdest call or traffic stop you have ever been on?

  • Wow, that’s a tough question. Police officers often are called to deal with people whose lives are in crisis or who are ill. Other calls (and traffic stops) present officers with intoxicated drivers, drugged drivers… you name it. But “weird?” Well, years ago I was asked to chase aliens out of an elderly man’s garage… I made a traffic stop on an old brass bed which was equipped with headlights, tail lights and four wheels… I have investigated ‘haunted’ houses… captured bees in a living room for a woman who was extremely allergic (I had to catch them and let them fly away)… I have talked a would-be Janis Joplin from her roof as she was singing at the top of her lungs, and we have all had to deal with various movie-stars, diety (and other biblical or famous figures)…

  • 4 Crime and Crime Prevention

  • What is a “Crime Rate” and how is it determined?

  • Crime rates are determined by counting the number of certain crimes which occur in a community, and comparing that with the population. It is not an exact science. It depends entirely on the reporting system of each individual agency, and what types of crimes each agency responds to when called.

  • What are the rules about shooting BB guns in Springville? Are they legal?

  • Great question! The discharge of BB guns, the use of slingshots, firearms, bows and arrows and other devices able to launch or expel a projectile, is prohibited by City ordinance 8-3-102.

    Here is that ordinance:

    8-3-102 Discharging Firearms.

    (1)    Except as permitted by subsection (2) of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person within the limits of the City to discharge any rifle, gun, pistol, air gun, bean shooter, flipper, sling shot, or any other instrument which expels a projectile, except in self-defense, or, in the case of target shooting, upon issuance of a permit by the Police Department.

    (2)    The Mayor may, upon recommendation of the Chief of Police, open any rural area of the City to hunting by proclamation and allow the discharge of firearms within that area for such purpose under the following conditions:

    (a)    The proclamation shall specify the area or areas in which hunting will be allowed.

    (b)    The proclamation may limit or restrict the type of firearms and ammunition which may be used in any area.

    (c)    The proclamation shall permit such hunting for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days and shall specify the days on which hunting is permitted.

    (d)    Nothing in this Section or in the proclamation shall be construed to allow hunting in any area or the use of firearms in any area where restricted by State law, and the proclamation shall contain a statement to that effect.

    (e)    The proclamation shall be posted at the City office and Police Department and shall be otherwise posted and published in the same manner as required for a City ordinance.

    (f)    The Mayor may include such other reasonable restrictions in the proclamation as the Mayor shall deem appropriate.

    (Statutory Authority UCA 10-8-47 and 10-13-9; 1968 Code 6-1-10; 1979 Code 8-2-8; amended by Ordinance No. 11-90; renumbered by Ord. No. 25-92; renumbered and amended by Ord. 03-2009, 03/17/2009)

  • What are the rules on curfews for kids in Springville and Utah County?

  • The curfew laws in most of the cities in Utah County are nearly identical with one another. There may be a few minor differences now, but several years ago Springville got with our neighbors to come up with a ‘template’ for curfew laws.

    It is a bit complex, so it will take a bit of careful reading to understand the law fully. You can find a bit more detail by following this link to the City Code: http://www.codepublishing.com/UT/Springville/ and searching for Section 8-6-101:

    8-6-101 Curfew.

    (1)    Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, it shall be unlawful for any minor under the age of sixteen (16) years to be in or on any public street, park, square, or any public place between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. the following day.

    (2)    Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, it shall be unlawful for any minor under the age of eighteen (18) years to be in or on any public street, park, square, or any public place between the hours of 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and 5:00 a.m. the following morning, or between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.


  • I was a victim of a crime and the suspect was arrested and sent to jail. I am worried that when the suspect gets out I might be in danger. How can I know if or when the suspect will be released from jail?

  • Both the State of Utah and the United States government have set up “Victim Notification” websites that should be able to help you. You will need to follow the appropriate link in order to be notified of the status of the suspect in your case.

    You can find links to both the State’s website (VINE) and to the federal website (run by the Department of Homeland Security) by clicking HERE.

  • 5 Fraud

  • I recently sold something over the internet. The person who bought the item sent me a check for more than the price we had agreed upon. He seems really nice, and he said he was sorry, then offered to let me keep extra money for the item. He said I should send the rest back to him using a money order or cashier’s check. Do you think it is ok, or is it a scam?

  • SCAM ALERT! Whoa! Stop right there! Don’t send the person anything, no matter how “nice” they seem! This particular scam is one of the most popular around today, and it doesn’t matter what internet site you use to sell items… A lot of people have lost a lot of money doing what your “nice” buyer has done.

         Here’s how it works. He sends you a check. You go to the bank, and the bank thinks the check is a good one. So you deposit it, and send a money order through a business like “Western Union” for the extra money the “buyer” sent you.

         A few days later the check you deposited comes back. It is a forgery. You are now out all of the money you sent to the guy who seemed “really nice.”

         Your money? At best it has been used to buy methamphetamine or heroin. At worst it is in the hands of terrorists or human traffickers or drug runners.

         Whatever you do, remember the old adage, “If it sounds or seems to be too good to be true, it is.”

  • 6 Animal Issues

  • There are an awfully lot of stray dogs and cats roaming my neighborhood, and they are making a mess of my yard and flower beds. What can I do?

  • If you are having problems with stray dogs and cats, let us know. You can call and speak with one of our Animal Control officers, or you can submit the information HERE.

  • I think my dog was picked up by one of the Animal Control Officers. Where do I find out where to go pick it up?

  • All strays are taken to the South Utah County Animal Shelter,
    located at 582 West 3000 North in Spanish Fork (behind the Utah County Jail).
    You can call them at (801) 851-4080. Their hours are Monday through Friday from
    09:00 am until 6:00 pm, and Saturdays from 09:00 am until 1:00 pm.

    If you are retrieving your animal, plan on paying impound fees,
    licensing and for any missing vaccinations before you get to take your pet


  • 7 Questions from Children (and grown-ups too!)

  • I was stopped by a policeman and he told me it was “after curfew.” What is curfew and why do kids have a curfew?

  • Curfews for youth are set up in nearly every city or county in the United States. Basically a ‘curfew’ is a set time when children and youth are expected to be home. The purpose is, of course, to keep the younger children safe and maybe keep the older young men and women safe and perhaps keep them out of trouble. Society generally sets those type of limits, and determine them by age (such as the ‘age of majority’ or ‘age of accountability’).


    Several years ago several cities in Utah (and especially Utah County) got together in an attempt to make the curfew laws more uniform from one city to the next. That was when Springville adopted the current curfew law, found on the City’s website. It is found HERE. This will bring up the current City Code. Select “Title 8 PUBLIC OFFENSES” then select “CHAPTER 6 OFFENSES RELATING TO MINORS.” You’ll see that “Curfew” is the very first selection (8-6-101).


    Because Springville’s curfew law is pretty long, we won’t copy it here. Instead click on the link above to review the law, but a quick version is that if you are under 16, curfew is from 11 pm to 5 am, if you are 16 or 17 years old the curfew changes on Friday and Saturday nights to 1 am to 5 am. Obviously there are exceptions listed in the law. For example, if you have a job or are with a parent or guardian… those types of things.


    If you have other questions about curfew, click here on the link to the curfew law! This will bring up the current City Code. Select “Title 8 PUBLIC OFFENSES” then select “CHAPTER 6 OFFENSES RELATING TO MINORS.” You’ll see that “Curfew” is the very first selection (8-6-101).

  • Is being a policeman fun?

  •      Sometimes being a policeman is a lot of fun. Sometimes it is not. We all enjoy helping others, and making our community a safe place to live. But sometimes it can be pretty scary, or we might have to talk to people about really sad things that have happened. On those days, being a policeman is really hard. But most of the time, we love our jobs.

  • Do you live at the Police Station?

  •      Sometimes, when we are shopping with our families, or when children see us at a ball game or other event, they are surprised! Sometimes they even wonder why we aren’t wearing our uniforms every time they see us. And every once in a while one of them is brave enough to ask us why we aren’t at our police station.

         Believe it or not, many years ago, when the first police departments were formed in the United States, policemen did stay at the police stations.

         Today, policemen work all around the clock, 24 hours of the day, 365 days of the year. Policemen even work on Christmas morning and the other holidays. But at the end of our shift, if everything goes according to plan, we get to go home to our families.

  • Children (and grownups) love to ask policemen questions, and the most asked questions of all are: “Have you ever been shot?” and “Have you ever shot anyone?”

  • Historically most police officers can go through their entire career and never get shot and never shoot anyone. That is what we really hope happens. So, except in very rare instances, the answer to both questions is “no”.

    Sadly, over the years, 136 police officers have died in the line of duty in Utah. Seventy-six of these officers were murdered, and sixty of them died in accidents.

    Two of those, Levi Washington Davis (1860)  and Silas E. Clark (1897), were from Springville.

    To learn more about these, and the other officers from Utah who have sacrificed their lives to help keep us all safe, click HERE.

Do you have a question you would like an officer to answer?

Yes, I do have a question!

Please fill out the form below. Be sure to leave us your email address so we are able to contact you later!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.