Buildings & Grounds
443 South 200 East
phone: (801) 489-2770
fax: (801) 489-7217
Shrub Planting Guidelines
- All shrubs shall be 2 gallon, 5 gallon, or ball and burlap stock.
- Hole should be dug at least twice the diameter of the root ball and only as deep as the root ball.
- Gently remove plant from the container and place in the center of the hole. The top of the root ball should be at ground level.
- Backfill the hole with parent material. Top soil or soil pep may be added to parent material but shall not replace parent material.
- Compact soil enough to hold plant in place. Never use mechanical compaction.
- Generously water to soak entire root ball and backfill. A soil water ring may be formed around the outside of the root ball. Backfill material may need to be added after material has settled.
- Mulch shall be added to a depth of 3 – 4 inches and at least twice the width of the root ball.
- When fabric is used, the hole for the plant should be at least 1 ½ time the diameter of the root ball to allow room for the plant to expand and grow naturally.
If you have any questions, please call (801) 491-2737 or send an email.